I’ve given a simple vanilla recipe here, but made with part coconut milk, almond milk, or added cocoa powder, spices, or citrus zest, there can be lots of variations. (And I can’t wait to try them all!)
Quinoa does have quite a few carbs – which sort of goes against my low-carb approach to eating – but with more protein than rice, it is absorbed more slowly into the system and, therefore, doesn’t cause a spike in blood sugar or carb cravings…for me at least. And that’s a very good thing!
(White rice has a glycemic load of approx 23, quinoa as a glycemic load of approx 13.
|1 1/4 cups 2% milk||1/2 cup fat free half & half|
|1/4 cup Splenda|
|1/8 teaspoon salt||1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed in a fine sieve and well drained|
|1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or paste (or a vanilla bean, split and scraped)||1/4 cup heavy whipping cream + 1 tablespoon Splenda|
- Cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, pumpkin pie spice, lemon or orange zest, brandy extract, etc.
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring milk and half & half to a boil.
- Add the Splenda, salt, quinoa, and vanilla extract/paste. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 min, stirring frequently. Cool.
- Transfer to a dish, and chill, completely.
- Whip the 1/4 cup heavy cream and 1 tablespoon Splenda until quite stiff; fold into the chilled pudding.
(You may eat it warm before adding the whipped cream, but it’s SO good after!)
Makes approx 6 servings (1/3 cup each)
Per Serving: Calories 130; Protein 5 g; Fat 4 g; NET Carbs 16 g; (Fiber 1 g); Sugar 6 g; Sodium 140 mg